Monday, June 6, 2011

P.S. 48 Principal For A Day

On Thursday May 19th I had a fun filled day of appearances that started at 8:00am and ended at 11:00pm . . . what a day, but a sensational one at that ! 

P.S. 48, Principal For A Day 

Principal of P. S. 48 :-)
When I became Miss Brooklyn one of the first appearances that came my way was Principal For A Day at my alma mater P.S. 48, "the school that rules!" I had to wait until May 19th to finally take my place in the principals chair, but boy was it worth the wait.  The students, the faculty and the staff were all so kind and welcomed me with open arms.  The day started at an assembly with the younger grades followed by another with the 3rd, 4th & 5th Graders.  The students greeted me with a fabulous song they wrote for me (which was such a special surprise), . . . "welcome to P.S. 48, Christina Moore, Miss Brooooooklyn." Following the chorus performance was a wonderful presentation by the band.  I was blown away by how talented all of these children were, from the vocals to the instruments, they were all sensational.  The students proceeded to present me with an official certificate and a "rising star" that is now hanging in my room<3 There generosity and sincere support was unbelievable.  As a special surprise for the school, my 4th Grade Performers With A Purpose, performed their dance "I'm A Believer" for their fellow classmates and had the whole school dancing along !!!! 



My 4th Grade Performers With A Purpose



I was able to speak about my involvement at P.S. 48 as well as my experiences there when I was a student.  Each class had the opportunity to ask me a few questions, which I was more than happy to answer (it was actually great interview prep lol, because everyone even down to the kindergarten students asked terrific questions.)  Although I enjoyed the entire day, the part that moved me the most was a beautiful song they sang called "Our Wish!" It was so sweet and so genuine that it brought me to tears.  It is amazing to me that I once stood on the stage of P.S. 48 and to return back as Miss Brooklyn and as someone who is living out a childhood dream I didn't even know I had, is surreal.

  

4th & 5th Grade Chorus


Assistant Principal Ms. Zabala & Principal Ms. Picucci

Ms. Laviano (my 4th Grade Teacher), Mrs. Carver (my 5th grade teacher)
& Mrs. McFarland (my 3rd Grade Teacher) 

5th Graders 
I sat there and remembered my memories at P.S. 48, the teachers who are now my friends and the students that I grew up with who are now like family to me.  Out of all of the amazing memories there one memory I will never forget is my 5th grade graduation when I stood on the stage and sang the song "I Hope You Dance!" I didn't know it then, but that song has come to have so much meaning in my life.  Everything has come full circle for me this year, and when I thought I had lost the joy of dance this entire year as Miss Brooklyn has given me back that gift and has allowed me to share it with others.  I have learned so much about myself as a teacher, as a student, and as a person and have seen first hand the impact you can have on others by simply being yourself.  These students as well as those from P.S. 112 & I. S. 187 have brought so much joy to my life and seeing them succeed and want to help spread awareness about sarcoma has been the most gratifying experience of my life.  

I want to thank Principal Picucci (whose was the principal when I was there :-) Parent Coordinator, Judy Magenta and Assistant Principal Ms. Zabala for giving me this wonderful opportunity <3

Principal For A Day :-)
*Little fun fact . . . I am the fourth generation in my family
to graduate from P.S. 48. My great grandmother, my grandmother,
my mother and I all graduated for good old 48!

xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment